Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Link Rel=Alternative Media=Handheld

A tip, I gleaned via the Google Webmaster help pages.

You may request that a redirect for the user to an alternate page for handheld media.
In the section of HTML add a link

<link rel="alternate" media="handheld" href="alternate_page.htm" />

The alternate page can then be adjusted for use on mobiles.

A similar link can be done to have an alternative stylesheet for mobile pages.

More details on the Link element at That Standards Guy

This technique can also be used to help make your pages more accessible to your users.

2 comments:

AnitaSB said...

Is there anyway to find out the IP address from any of this link? Or the rest the text stuff that is with it? I just cut and paste that piece to see if anyone would be able to tell me anything.

Thanks
A

FleaCircusDirector said...

I'm not sure I understand the question? Do you want to find out the address of the user?